is a historic one-room schoolhouse located on Darby Road in Haverford, Pennsylvania near the Allgates Estate. It was established in 1797, and was called the Federal School because of the community’s pride of being part of the Federal United States, but not much else is known about it until 1849, when the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the building and officially renamed it the Haverford Seminary Number 1. It served as a public school from then until Horatio Gates Lloyd bought it in 1940. After his family moved out it served as a storage building. The Historical Society of Haverford Township restored it in 1991. The Federal School now has 1849 school re-enactments for 4th Graders in the School District of Haverford Township.
Interior of the School
Federal School House, Outbuilding, End of Allgates Drive (Haverford Township), Havertown, Delaware County, PA
The Allgates is located in Haverford, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The large estate contained 19 buildings. The largest of them is the Mansion House, designed by Wilson Eyre, and completed in 1912. The Frog Tavern was built in 1731, and the Federal School was built in 1797. The complex of buildings was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 15, 1979, and the Federal School was listed separately in 1971. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/pa3369/
Horatio Lloyd Gates, General, R. S. (1727 – 1806)
Horatio Gates Lloyd (1831-1893) and Caroline Elizabeth Newell (1836-1909)
Horatio Gates Lloyd (1867-1937) and Mary Helen Wingate (1868 – 1934)
The estate was built for financier Horatio Gates Lloyd Sr., simultaneously partner in Drexel and Co. and J.P. Morgan and Co. and President of the Commercial Trust Co. of Philadelphia, and his wife Mary Helen Wingate Lloyd.
Horatio Gates “Gates” Lloyd, Jr (1900 – 1993) was the Grandson of Horatio Gates Lloyd (1831-1893) and Caroline Elizabeth Newell (1836-1909)
Husband of Eleanor Biddle Barnes Lloyd (1906-1985)
Mr. Lloyd attended schools in Philadelphia and Rhode Island and graduated from Princeton University in 1923. He also attended Trinity College and Cambridge University for one year before joining Drexel & Co., the Philadelphia investment banking firm where his father was a partner. The younger Mr. Lloyd became a partner at the company, the predecessor of Drexel Burnham Lambert, in 1927.
During World War II, he served with the Interceptor Command in Philadelphia. In 1950, he took a leave of absence from Drexel to join the Central Intelligence Agency in Washington. In 1954, he became deputy director for administration under director Allen W. Dulles.
Mr. Lloyd retired from that position in 1964. He later served as chairman of The Contributionship, a Philadelphia mutual insurance company. The insurance company, founded in 1752 by a group of Philadelphians headed by Benjamin Franklin, is the oldest in the United States.
Eleanor Biddle Barnes Named after her mother, Eleanor Biddle, she doubtless learned her most practical lessons about public service from the example of her father, John Hampton Barnes. He was a prominent Philadelphia lawyer who led reform movements in the Republican Party against the Vare machine after World War I. In 1919, he worked on revisions of the City Charter and also helped create Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Logan Square’s Swann Fountain project with Stirling Calder as its sculptor. In 1927, Lallie married Princeton graduate Gates Lloyd of Allgates in Haverford. The groom was starting his career as an investment banker in his father’s footsteps. In 1930, country-house architects Willing, Sims & Talbutt designed Linden on Haverford’s Darby Road for the young couple. They lived there a half-century until that imposing house and its extensive grounds became The Quadrangle lifecare community.
Mr. Lloyd is survived by his sons, H. Gates 3d and Wingate; daughters, Mary L. Robb and Prudence L. Rosenthal; 18 grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren.
Gates and Lallie Lloyd on the patio on a Sunday before lunch. “Lallie” was a nickname for Eleanor Biddle Barnes Lloyd whose father Hampton Barnes was a Philadelphia lawyer. Her husband Horatio Gates Lloyd Jr. was a partner with Drexel & Co. until he joined the CIA in 1950.